Tonight Hungary had their first heat in their national selection A dal. Six out of ten entries got through by two rounds of voting. After the first round these five acts qualified to the semi-finals:
- Leander Kills - Élet
- Roma Soul - Nyitva a ház
- Viki Singh - Rain
- Spoon 21 - Deák
- Dávid Henderson - White Shadows
- Benji - Karcok
The following acts will compete in the first heat of A Dal 2017 on Saturday 14th January:
- Benji: Karcok
- Calidora: Glory
- David Henderson: White Shadows
- Kata Csondor: Create
- Leander Kills: Élet
- Rocktenors: Ősz
- Roma Soul: Nyitva a ház
- Spoon21: Deák
- The Wings: Mint a hurrikán
- Viki Singh: Rain
More details are available on the website of A Dal 2017.
New entries in A Dal 2017
New entrants have been selected for the Hungarian national selection, A Dal 2017.
Chase is entering the competition with his song Dust in the wind and the Rocktenors are also participating with Ősz (Autumn). Chase is going to perform in the first heat of A Dal 2017 hosted by Hungarian Public Broadcaster Duna at 19:30 CET on 14th January. Chase replaces Jetlag who were unable to undertake the various obligations and commitments of A Dal 2017.
TheRocktenors will replace Szabyest who has been expelled from the contest for violating the rules. According to the official rulebook of A Dal 2017, the entries (including the lyrics and the music) must not have been published before the 1st of September 2016 (including live performances).
The contestants of A Dal 2017 will have the opportunity to take away various rewards at the end of A Dal 2017 including special awards for Best Lyrics and Best Newcomer. All the performers will introduce the unplugged version of their song in the so-called ‘Acoustic Contest’, the winner of which will perform at the Petőfi Music Awards at VOLT Festival 2017 and in the ‘Akusztik’ programme of Radio Petőfi. The winner of the finals taking place on 18th February will have the honour to represent Hungary at the 62nd Eurovision Song Contest in Kyiv, Ukraine.
A Dal 2017 - Hungary announces national selection
30 songs were selected to compete in A Dal 2017 - the official Hungarian national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest. The songs, their performers and the jury members were introduced at a press conference on 8th December in a club in downtown Budapest.
The first heat of A Dal 2017 will be broadcast on 14th January 2017 leading to the final which will take place on 18th February. The show will be hosted by Hungarian Public Broadcaster Duna TV, and the winning song will be decided by a combination of jury and public votes.
The contestants will have the opportunity to take away various rewards at the end of A Dal 2017 including awards for Best Lyrics and Best Newcomer. All the performers will introduce the unplugged version of their song in the so-called ‘Acoustic Contest’ the winner of which will perform at the Petőfi Music Awards at VOLT Festival 2017. The winner of the show will have the honour to represent Hungary at the 62nd Eurovision Song Contest in Kyiv, Ukraine.
Photograph: Soós Lajos
Ferenc Molnár Caramel was revealed as a new member of the jury for A Dal 2017. When asked about the differences in judging the performances of A Dal 2017 to other competitions, he said:
"The biggest difference is the fact that in A Dal we aren’t expressing an opinion about the performer but rather about the song itself. The voice of the artist is important – but the melody and the creativity play a much more important role here. If you ask me, I’d like to find today’s hit song. I had been a jury member in various talent shows and I can’t wait for A Dal to begin. It’s an electrifying task as you have to listen to the songs in a slightly different way. The voice is significant of course, but at the end of the day it’s just another instrument of delivering the message. And it is the message that I go for. That being said, an outstanding voice is a treasure indeed – so we will keep our ears open. At this point I am quite sure that the next edition of A Dal will be amazing. The competitors will blow your mind; the songs are simply top notch. I’m sure that the show will be very exciting. And in the finale we will find the song that will be a worthy representative of Hungary on international level – a song that will be engraved in all our hearts".
Members of the jury:
- Adrienn Zsédenyi Zséda (award-winning singer)
- Miklós Both (award-winning composer/guitarist/singer)
- Károly Frenreisz (founder of the legendary LGT and Skorpió, a legend of Hungarian rock music)
- Ferenc Molnár Caramel (award-winning singer)
Participants of A Dal 2017
- Benji: Karcok (Music: Zsolt Szepesi, Huy Le Quang, Gyárfás Máté, Lyrics: Gábor Budai, Gyárfás Máté)
- Olivér Berkes: Háttérzaj (Music: Marcell Závodi, Lyrics: Marcell Závodi, Gábor Závodi)
- Calidora: Glory (Music: Dóra Oberritter, Zsolt Szepesi, Lyrics: Dóra Oberritter, Attila Baross)
- Kata Csondor: Create (Music: Kata Csondor, Roland Balogh, Lyrics: Péter Mihola)
- The Couple: Vége van (Music and lyrics: Gábor Berkó)
- Kyra Fedor: Got to be a day (Music: Kyra Fedor, Csaba Nemes, Lyrics: Balázs Janky)
- David Henderson: White Shadows (Music: David Henderson, Dávid Tóth, Péter Ferencz Peet, Lyrics: David Henderson)
- Jetlag: Keresem a bajt (Music and Lyrics: Tamás Molnár)
- Peter Kovary & The Royal Rebels: It's a riot (Music and Lyrics: Péter Zsolt Kővári)
- Kállay Saunders Band: 17 (Music: András Kállay, Zsolt Szepesi, Ádám Tóth, Lyrics: András Kállay)
- Gina Kanizsa: Fall like rain (Music: Petra Várallyay, Lyrics: Petra Várallyay, Katus Várallyay)
- AnnaElsa feat Juli Kása: Jártam (Music and Lyrics: Anna Elza Garay)
- Leander Kills: Élet (Music and Lyrics: Leander Köteles)
- Mrs. Columbo: Frozen King (Music: Dorina Galambos, Dániel Somogyvári, Katalin Héjja, Lyrics: Dorina Galambos)
- Zoltán Mujahid: On my own (Music: Zoltán Mujahid, Lyrics: Johnny K. Palmer)
- Enikő Muri: Jericho (Music and Lyrics: Sebastian Arman, Joachim Persson)
- Benjámin Pál: Father's eyes (Music: Zoltán Tóth G., Lyrics: Péter Halász)
- Joci Pápai: Origo (Music: József Pápai, Lyrics: József Pápai)
- Peet Project: Kill your monster (Music: Péter Ferencz, Olivér Magán, Lyrics: Dávid Henderson)
- Gigi Radics: See It Through (Music: Georgina Radics, Tamás Radics, Lyrics: Zoltán Riba, Johnny K. Palmer)
- Roma Soul: Nyitva a ház (Music: István Farkas, Lyrics: Tamás Pajor)
- Orsolya Sapszon: Hunyd le szemed (Music: Bálint Sapszon, Lyrics: Dóra Csenki, Orsi Sapszon)
- Viki Singh: Rain (Music: Szabolcs Harmath, Lyrics: Angelika Iványi)
- Soulwave: Kalandor (Music: Máté Fodor, Ádám Huszár, Gábor Góczán, Ferenc Szabó, Lyrics: Máté Fodor)
- Spoon21: Deák (Music and Lyrics: Péter Földesi, Márton Grósz, Miklós Adrián Nagy, Kristóf Teremy)
- Ádám Szabó: Together (Music: Dániel Somogyvári, Ádám Szabó, Lyrics: Kata Kozma)
- Szabyest: Szerelem kell (Music and Lyrics: Szabolcs Achilles Szabó)
- The Wings: Mint a hurrikán (Music and Lyrics: Balázs Szobolits)
- Andi Tóth: I've got a Fire (Music: Johnny K. Palmer, Dániel Somogyvári, Lyrics: Johnny K. Palmer)
- TOTOVA: Hosszú idők (Music: Gabriella Tóth TOTOVA, Tibor Molnár, Begi Lotfi, Dávid Nagy, Lyrics: Tibor Molnár)
András Kállay-Saunders finished fifth in the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest with Running. An app for A Dal 2017 will be available. For further information check out the official homepage of A Dal 2017.