Portugal's national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest, Festival da Canção 2017, kicks off tonight Sunday 19th of February. The 1st semi-final of the 51st edition of the contest will be broadcast live from the RTP studios at 22:00 CET. You can watch the show on RTP1 and on this RTP Play link.
In tonight's 1st semi-final we will be able to watch the first eight competitors:
- Márcia - Agora
- Golden Slumbers - Para Perto
- Fernando Daniel - Poema a Dois
- Deolinda Kinzimba - O que Eu Vi nos Meus Sonhos
- Rui Drumond - O Teu Melhor
- Lisa Garden - Without You
- Salvador Sobral - Amar pelos Dois
- Viva La Diva - Nova Glória
The presenters of the first semi-final will be Sónia Araújo e José Carlos Malato. For more information you can visit the Portuguese broadcaster, RTP, site on Festival da Canção.
Portugal is back in the Eurovision Song Contest, after the absence in Stockholm last year, and their national competition, Festival da Canção, is back too with three shows: two semi-finals, on the 19th and the 26th of February) and a final to take place on the 5th of March.
To write the 16 participating songs the Portuguese broadcaster, RTP, invited 16 composers who chose the performers for their own songs. There are 8 composers taking part in each semi-final, 4 of which proceed to the final, making also a total of 8 songs in the final.
Here are the acts that will perform in the first semi-final on February 19th (writers in brackets):
- Márcia - Agora (Márcia)
- Golden Slumbers - Para Perto (Samuel Úria)
- Fernando Daniel - Poema A Dois (Nuno Feist)
- Deolinda Kinzimba - O Que Eu Vi Nos Meus Sonhos (Rita Redshoes)
- Rui Drumond - O Teu Melhor (Héber Marques)
- Lisa Garden - Without You (Pedro Saraiva)
- Salvador Sobral - Amar Pelos Dois (Luísa Sobral)
- Viva La Diva - Nova Glória (Nuno Gonçalves)
Rui Drummond represented Portugal at the 2005 Eurovision Song Contest, as part of the duo 2B, performing the song Amar which placed 17th in the Semi-Final. Viva La Diva are Kika Cardoso, Luís Peças and João Paulo Ferreira.
Here are the acts that will perform in the second semi-final (writers in brackets):
- David Gomes - My Paradise (Tóli César Machado)
- Lena d’Agua - Nunca Me Fui Embora (Pedro Silva Martins)
- Beatriz Felício - Ao Teu Olhar (Jorge Fernando)
- Pedro Gonçalves - Don't Walk Away (João Pedro Coimbra)
- Helena Kendall - Andamos No Céu (João Só)
- Celina Da Piedade - Primavera (Celina da Piedade)
- Jorge Benvinda - Gente Bestial (Nuno Figueiredo)
- Inês Sousa - Se O Tempo Não Falasse (Noiserv)
Portugal launches ambitious search for 2017 Eurovision entry
The final of Festival da Canção 2017 will take place on Sunday 5th March. 2017 also marks the 60th anniversary of the launch of the broadcaster's first channel, RTP1 which began transmissions in 1957. The national final will include an celebration gala marking this anniversary in the same show on 5th March.
This year RTP invited 16 renowned composers to compose, write and produce the 16 competing songs. The choice of the singer is also their responsibility.
There will be two semi finals with eight songs each, four songs will proceed to the final. The results will be decided by a 50/50 combination of jury and televote. Eight songs will compete in the final in total.
- Semi final 1 - Sunday 19th February, RTP1
- Semi final 2 - Sunday 26th February, RTP1
- Final of Festival da Canção 2017 - Sunday 5th March, RTP1
Portugal will participate in the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time since 2015.