It's Kurt Calleja's night in Malta
The Maltese national final has just ended, and after a very closely fought round of voting, Kurt Calleja has emerged victorious and will perform This Is The Night, the 25th Maltese entry in the Eurovision Song Contest in Baku in May.
Opening the show were the cast of DREAMS with the official DREAMS medley. As with the semi final show, the final was hosted by Ronald Briffa and Elaine Saliba. Frank Zammit was again working backstage providing links from the green room.
The show was streamed live on Eurovision.tv and actually broadcast by Ictimai TV in Azerbaijan.
After a draw made earlier today, resulting in the following line up:-
- Lawrence Gray - In Your Eyes - 7th place 29 points
- Deborah C ft Leila James - You Make Me Go Uh Uh - 15th place 7 points
- Dorothy Bezzina - Autobiography - 8th place 27 points
- Gianni Zammit - Petals On A Rose - 4th place 42 points
- Claudia Faniello - Pure - 2nd place 78 points
- Danica Muscat - 7 Days - 9th place 26 points
- Fabrizio Faniello - I Will Fight For You (Papa's Song) - 6th place 31 points
- Corazon - Mystifying Eyes - 10th place 16 points
- Richard Edwards - Look At Me Now - 5th place 32 points
- Kaya - First TIme - 13th place 9 points
- Amber - Answer With Your Eyes - 3rd place 55 points
- Wayne Micallef - TIme - 11th place 10 points
- Kurt Calleja - This Is The Night - 1st place 84 points
- Janvil - You Are My Life - 14th place 8 points
- Klinsmann - No Way Back - 16th place 0 points
- Francesca Borg - Take Me Far - 11th place 10 points
Interval special guests
Glen Vella was last year's Maltese representative, and is still hugely popular in Malta. He performed his latest single Lie, and afterwards he was joined by the popular Maltese gospel choir Animae where they performed a version of Michael Jackson's Heal The World.
Internationally acclaimed artist Anggun will be the French representative in Europe's Favourite TV Show in Baku this year. She performed a song called Only Love, and also gave the first ever televised performance of the French 2012 entry Echo (You And I).
Ell/Nikki took Europe by storm last May as they captured the Eurovision Song Contest crown for Azerbaijan. They performed some solo songs, before uniting on stage for a rendition of their 2011 winner Running Scared.
Maltese Final 2012
The voting was decided between part televoting and part professional jury. In a close run contest, Kurt Calleja edged out Claudia Faniello for the victory.
Kurt Calleja will perform for Malta in the first half of the Second Semi-Final of Europe's Favourite TV Show on May 24th in Baku, Azerbaijan.