RÚV reveal plans for 2013 Icelandic selection
Icelandic broadcaster RÚV has begun the process of collecting in songs for the 2013 edition of Söngvakeppni Sjónvarpsins, the competition which will ultimately find the entry for Iceland in the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest.
The rules for entering the competition are in general the same as the past two years in Iceland. Songwriters will have an opportunity to submit their entries until the deadline date of midnight on October 8th 2012.
Rules for entering
There are several conditions of entry which can be summarised as follows :-
- Songwriters and lyricists have to be Icelandic citizens
- If there is more than one author or composer, then at least two thirds of the team have to be Icelandic citizens
- The lyrics of the songs must be in the Icelandic language
- Each composer is allowed to submit a maximum of three songs
- Authors may however be authors or co-authors of more than three songs
Key dates for the diary
The heats for Söngvakeppni Sjónvarpsins will begin on January 12th 2013. As in previous years there will be three heats to determine who proceeds to the final.
The final of Söngvakeppni Sjónvarpsins will be held on February 9th 2013. This is when viewers will learn who will succeed Greta Salóme & Jónsi as the Icelandic representatives in Europe's Favourite TV Show in Malmö in May 2013. The venue for the Icelandic final has yet to be confirmed.
Iceland have qualified for the Final of Europe's Favourite TV Show for the last five years running. In Baku, Greta Salóme & Jónsi took their nation to the Grand Final, finsihing ultimately in 20th place. You can reflect back on some of their highlights in Baku in our gallery and video below.