Spring for Cyprus in Eurovision
The Cypriot representative in the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest is decided. The island will be defended in Oslo by Jon Lilygreen & The Islanders with Life Looks Better In Spring. The song was voted as number 1 by both the viewers and the jury.
In a two-hour show on Sunday night, Cyprus chose Jon Lilygreen & The Islanders as its champion for the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest. The winning song is a ballad called Life Looks Better In Spring, written by Nasos Lambrianidis and Melis Konstantinou, with Nasos Lambrianidis as the lyricist. In the show, the nine finalists performed in front of an enthusiastic studio audience.
The rules stated that only songwriters who have Cypriot origin or who have resided in the island for at least two years could take part. But the winning performer Jon Lilygreen is British, living in Newborn. His band, The Islanders, consists of musicians from Cyprus, Wales, Norway and Scotland.
The winner was decided by a shared vote between the viewers and a five-member professional jury, in which both had a 50% stake. Jon Lilygreen & The Islanders was voted as number 1 by both the viewers and the jury.
Other noted contenders in the selection included Constantinos Christoforou, who has represented Cyprus three times: in 1996 and 2005 as a solo artist and in 2002 as a member of the group One, as well as Mike Connaris, the composer of Stronger Every Minute, the Cypriot entry of 2004. The full results from the show was as follows:
- 12 points: Jon Lilygreen & The Islanders – Life Looks Better In Spring - Music by Nasos Lambrianides, Melis Konstantinou, lyrics by Nasos Lambrianides.
- 10 points: Constantinos Christoforou – Angel - Music by Constantinos Christoforou, lyrics by Zinon Zompilis.
- 8 points: Hovig Demirgian – Goodbye - Written by Valeria Partali.
- 7 points: Constantinos Kountouzis & Soul Throw – Island Of Love - Written by Constantinos Kountouzis.
- 6 points: Anthi Pashi – You Gotta Go - Anthi Pashi.
- 5 points: Nicole Paparistodemou – Like A Woman - Written by Mike Connaris.
- 4 points: Andreas Economides – Waiting - Music by Christodoulos Charalambides, lyrics by Andreas Economides.
- 3 points: Evagoras Evagorou – I'm Gonna Be. - Music by Marios Melekis, Christos Filippou, lyrics by Anthi Pashi.
- 2 points: Vivian Daglas – Rhapsody. - Music by Leanna Varnavidou, lyrics by Leanna Varnavidou, Helena Antoniou.
Christina Metaxa took the job for Cyprus with Firefly, a song written by her brother Nikolas. She did not qualify for the Final in Moscow, as she finished fourteenth in the second Semi-Final.