Elina Born & Stig Rästa to fly the Estonian flag in Vienna!
Tonight's final of Eesti Laul 2015 was a great show with 10 talented acts fighting to represent Estonia at the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna. However, only one act could win and this was Elina Born & Stig Rästa with the song Goodbye To Yesterday!
Last year in Copenhagen, Estonia failed to qualify to the Grand Final but this year the country has great hopes for its entry, Elina Born & Stig Rästa with the song Goodbye To Yesterday, who just won Eesti Laul 2015 tonight in Tallinn.
Take a look at the video of the winning entry here:
After winning, Elina Born took the microphone on the stage and promised the audience: "We will not let you down!"
"We will not let you down!"
Elina Born rose to fame in the show, Eesti Otsib Superstaari, Estonia's answer to the British TV series, Pop Idol where she finished second. She has also taken part in Eesti Laul earlier, in 2013 she finished 8th with her song Enough.
Stig Rästa is a well known Estonian singer, songwriter, guitarist and record producer. He has been behind successful bands such as Slobodan River, Traffic and Outloudz. He's participated at Eesti Laul on several occasions, reaching twice the super-final stage but missing out the victory on both occasions.
The duo has been working together for several years with Stig Rästa writing Elina's songs. He also co-wrote her Eesti Laul entry in 2013. In a recent interview Rästa said Born does not like vocally simple songs: "They need to be on the crazy side."
Their song Goodbye To Yesterday had topped almost every poll in Estonia to win their national selection in the run up to the final tonight. It has also stayed on top of the country's iTunes charts already before the semi-final they took part in. Their lyrics video of the song has already been seen some 900,000 times.
How the winner was chosen
The show was started by Tanja's new rendition of her last year's winning entry Amazing. All songs were followed by postcards called "The Naked Truth" with children touching everyday topics such as getting married.
First, all 10 finalists performed after which an initial round of voting took place. Here the vote was split 50:50 between the professional jury and televote. The jury favourites were Elina Born & Stig Rästa, Elephants From Neptune and Daniel Levi.
After this, the top three acts proceeded to the so-called "Super-Final" where they performed once more. The winner was then decided 100% by the viewers.
The three acts who qualified to the Super-Final were as follows:
- Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye To Yesterday (79% of the votes)
- Daniel Levi - Burning Lights (13%)
- Elisa Kolk - Superlove (8%)
This is what the line-up looked like for tonight's show (songwriters in brackets):
- Luisa Värk - Minu päike (Mikk Tammepõld, Luisa Värk)
- Maia Vahtramäe - Üle Vesihalli Taeva (Olav Osolin)
- Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye To Yesterday (Stig Rästa)
- Kali Briis Band - Idiot (Alan Olonen)
- Robin Juhkental & The Big Bangers - Troubles (Robin Juhkental & The Big Bangers)
- Daniel Levi - Burning Lights (Daniel Levi Viinalass)
- Elisa Kolk - Superlove (Vahur Valgmaa)
- The Blurry Lane - Exceptional (Kristina Bianca Rantala)
- Elephants from Neptune - Unriddle Me (Jon-Arnold Mikiver, Robert Linna, Rain Joona, Markko Reinberg)
- Triin Niitoja & John4 - This Is Our Choice (Jaanus Saago, Triin Niitoja)
Watch the show again!
Hopefully you were watching with us tonight! However, if you missed out on tonight's action or you just want to watch the show again, you can do so on Eurovision.tv via our WebTV.
Watch the finalists
Was there a song tonight you liked? Do you just want to see them all in one place? Well why not scroll through the videos below of all 10 acts:
1. Luisa Värk - Minu päike
2. Maia Vahtramäe - Üle Vesihalli Taeva
3. Elina Born & Stig Rästa - Goodbye to Yesterday
4. Kali Briis Band - Idiot
5. Robin Juhkental & The Big Bangers - Troubles
6. Daniel Levi - Burning Lights
7. Elisa Kolk - Superlove
8. The Blurry Lane - Exceptional
9. Elephants From Neptune - Unriddle Me
10. Triin Niitoja & John4 - This Is Our Choice
Estonia will take part in the first Semi-Final of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest, which takes place at the Wiener Stadthalle in Vienna on the 19th of May. The Grand Final takes place on the 23rd of May.