The 46th edition of Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2016 was a spectacular event featuring Sweden's Eurovision Song Contest winner from 2012, Loreen, who performed Euphoria live on-stage.
After all 10 songs were performed, the top three were announced, decided by a combination of public and jury votes, each accounting for 50%. These three songs were then performed again with the winner chosen by the public.
The top three:
- Simone – Heart shaped hole (22% of the vote)
- Lighthouse X – Soldiers of love (42% of the vote)
- Anja Nissen – Never alone (36% of the vote)
This year DR has introduced a new app which used during voting alongside SMS. The jury consisted of choreographer Vicky Leander, singer Christina Chanée, songwriter John Gordon, fan Mette Thorning Svendsen and radio host Dennis Johannesson. Christina Chanée, along with Tomas N'evergreen, represented Denmark in the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest finishing in 4th place. John Gordon wrote the winning song for Germany in 2010; Satellite, performed by Lena.
The ten participants of 2016 edition of Dansk Melodi Grand Prix were:
- Anja Nissen – Never alone
- Bracelet – Breakaway
- David Jay – Rays of sunlight
- Jessica – Break it good
- Kristel Lisberg – Who needs a heart
- Lighthouse X – Soldiers of love
- Muri & Mario – To stjerner
- Simone – Heart shaped hole
- Sophia Nohr – Blue horizon
- Veronicas Illusion – The wrong kind
Lighthouse X will take to the stage in Stockholm to represent Denmark in the Second Semi Final of the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest on Thursday 12th May. The Grand Final will take place on Saturday 14th May.
Denmark won the Eurovision Song Contest on the two previous occasions that Sweden hosted the event, in 2000 and 2013. Will it be third time lucky for the Danes in 2016?