Malta has decided their 14 finalists
Tonight in the Malta Fairs and Convention centre in Ta'Qali, Malta, the semi-final was held to determine which 14 songs would make it through to tomorrow night's grand final. There were several familiar names from previous Maltese selection shows participating in the contest, which of them made it to the final?
The show was presented by two former Maltese entrants, Ira Losco who finished in second place for the country in the 2002 edition, and last year's participant Gianluca. They were joined by the experienced presenter Moira Delia.
The songs were presented in the following order, with the fourteen that had the distinction of making it through to the final highlighted in bold. The decision was reached by six judges, and televoting made up the votes of a seventh judge.
- Because I Have You sung by Amber. Composed by Paul Giordimaina and Fleur Balzan.
- Oblivion sung by Chris Grech. Composed by Philip Vella, Chris Grech and Gerard James Borg.
- Addictive sung by Romina Mamo. Composed by Linda Persson and Ylva Persson.
- Hypnotica sung by Jessica Muscat. Composed by Philip Vella and Gerard James Borg
- Now And Forever sung Andreana Debattista. Composed by Vinny Vella and Karl Spiteri.
- One Last Ride sung by Daniel Testa. Composed by Stephen Rudden and Lawrence Peter Bridge.
- Invisible sung by Raquel Galdes. Composed by Philip Vella and Gerard James Borg.
- Just No Place Like Home sung by Fabrizio Faniello. Composed by Johan Bejerholm.
- Some Kind of Wonderful sung by Wayne William. Composed by Wayne William Micallef.
- City Lady sung by Ryan Paul Abela. Composed by Paul Abela, Ryan Paul Abela and Joe Julian Farrugia.
- Love Tricity sung by Christabelle Borg. Composed by Magnus Kaxe and Gerard James Borg.
- Take Me sung by Pamela. Composed by Boris Cezek.
- Let The Sunshine In sung by Sophie Debattista. Composed by Sophie Debattista, Lou Mullen, Adam Pakard and Alexander Dew.
- Love Will Take Me Home sung by Franklin Calleja. Composed by Glen Vella, Beatrice Eriksson, Marcus Frenell and Michael James Down.
- Safe sung by Miriam Christine. Composed by Marc Scicluna and Emil Calleja Bayliss.
- Until We Meet Again sung by Deborah C. Composed by Elton Zarb and Muxu
- Coming Home sung by Fire Light. Composed by Richard Micallef.
- Pin The Middle sung by DeBee. Composed by Peter Paul Galea and Debbie Stivala.
- Brand New Day sung by Davinia Pace. Composed by Elton Zarb and Muxu.
- Ten sung by Corazon. Composed by Paul Giordimaina and Fleur Balzan.
The show opened with all the participants in a pre-filmed insert giving a brief medley of past Maltese entrants, and just to be fair the medly didn't include the songs from those artists who were also performing in tonight's semi-final. This led into Gianluca performing live on stage his song from last year, Tomorrow, and joined on stage by Ira Losco with a more uptemp interpretation of the same song.
Special guests in tonight's semi final were the current Eurovision Song Contest title holder, Emmelie de Forest who performed Only Teardrops and the Ukrainian entrant for this year, Mariya Yaremchuk with her song Tick-Tock. There were also performances by local artists The Crowns and Red Electric.
The programme to select the entry for Malta in the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest, will be broadcast live from the Malta Fairs and Convention Centre in Ta'Qali, Malta on Saturday 8th February, and you can watch it live on our web player.
In addition to the fourteen songs, Sebalter the Swiss entrant from this year will be one of the special guests performing his entry, Hunter Of Stars. Emmelie de Forest will be back on stage to perform her new song Rainmaker. Whilst the Maltese winner of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2013, Gaia Gauchi will also be performing in front of her home audience. Local guests performing, include Winter Moods and comic duo Gorg u Pawlu.
The running order of the final will be mainly producer led, however two positions were drawn at the press conference following the semi-final. The opening song will be Love Tricity, whilst the final song will be Pin The Middle.
In the live final the winning song will also be determined by the votes of six judges and televoting will make the votes of a seventh judge, In the event of a tie, the votes of the judges (therefore excluding televoting) will be used to ascertain the order of tied songs.