Portugal: Suzy wins Festival da Canção!
It was late night in most of Europe when Portugal announced the name of the winner of their Festival Da Canção 2014. After a one year absence in the Eurovision Song Contest the country will be represented by Suzy with the song Quero Ser Tua.
The Portuguese national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest in Copenhagen, Festival Da Canção 2014, comprised one semi-final and the final, both held at the Convento do Beato in Lisbon. Ten composers were invited by RTP and they chose the performers for their songs. In the end, the following five made it to tonight's final (click on the title to watch the semi-final performance of the song):
- Rui Andrade - Ao Teu Encontro (Rui Andrade & Marc Paelinck)
- Catarina Pereira - Mea Culpa (Andrej Babic & Carlos Coelho)
- Zana - Nas Asas da Sorte (Paulo Abreu Lima e Jan Van Dijck)
- Raquel Guerra - Sonhos Roubados (Nuno Marques da Silva & Nuno Feist)
- Suzy - Quero Ser Tua (Como A Lua É Do Luar) (Emanuel)
After the round of televoting the results were announced in random order. First the top 3 songs were revealed:
- Catarina Pereira - Mea Culpa
- Suzy - Quero Ser Tua
- Rui Andrade - Ao Teu Encontro 3rd
So Rui was declared 3rd while Suzy and Catarina were still waiting for the final result. They were taken to the stage for the final announcement and the winner was finally revealed... Suzy with the song Quero Ser Tua, lyrics and music by Emanuel, just like in 2007 with Sabrina's Dança Comigo.
Suzy will represent Portugal in the First Semi-Final of the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest on the 10th of May in Copenhagen, the same place where they made their first appearance in the contest 50 years ago.