Sweden: Melodifestivalen 2014 kicked off
Finally today it was time for one of the most popular national selections in Europe to kick off: the Swedish Melodifestivalen. Last year's Eurovision Song Contest host city, Malmö, was the place were YOHIO and Ellen Benediktson won their access to the final.
The venue for last year's Eurovision Song Contest, Malmö Arena, played host for the first semi-final of Melodifestivalen, the Swedish national selection for the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest, where the following eight acts battled for their ticket to the final:
- YOHIO - To The End (Andreas Johnson, Johan Lyander, Peter Kvint, YOHIO)
- Mahan Moin - Aleo (Mahan Moin, Anderz Wrethov)
- Linus Svenning - Bröder (Fredrik Kempe)
- Elisa Lindström - Casanova (Ingela "Pling" Forsman, Bobby Ljunggren, Jimmy Jansson)
- Alvaro Estrella - Bedroom (Jakke Erixson, Jon Bordon, Lauren Francis, Kristofer Östergren)
- Ellen Benediktson - Songbird (Sharon Vaughn, Johan Fransson, Tim Larsson, Tobias Lundgren)
- Sylvester Schlegel - Bygdens Son (Sylvester Schlegel)
- Helena Paparizou - Survivor (Bobby Ljunggren, Henrik Wikström, Karl-Ola Kjellholm, Sharon Vaughn)
Photo by Olle Kirchmeier (SVT)
Of course Helena Paparizou won the 2005 Eurovision Song Contest for Greece with the song My Number One. She also represented Greece in 2001 as part of the duo Antique with the song Die For You which placed third in Copenhagen, where the next Eurovision Song Contest will take place.
Sylvester Schlegel represented Sweden at the 2007 Eurovision Song Contest as part of the band The Ark. Alvaro Estrella was one of the backing singers for Azerbaijan's Farid last year in Malmö. YOHIO finished second in last year's Melodifestivalen with the song Heartbreak Hotel.
"Vi har ett resultat!"
After the first round of voting Alvaro Estrella, Mahan Moin and Sylvester Schlegel were eliminated. Then the final results were announced. YOHIO (pictured below) was the first one to be announced straight to the final in Friends Arena with his song To The End.
Then it was time to announce the two acts proceeding to Andra Chansen, the second chance round, to take place in Lidköping on the 1st of March:
- Linus Svenning - Bröder
- Helena Paparizou - Survivor
The second straight finalist was Ellen Benediktson (pictured below) with the ballad Songbird, which meant that Elisa Lindström and Casanova finished 5th and was eliminated.
The next semi-final will take place next Saturday in Linköping. The Swedish final will be on the 8th of March.