Top 20 for Estonian selection revealed, many return
Estonian broadcaster, ERR has revealed the 20 names that will take part in their highly successful national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest, Eesti Laul. Several artists and song writers are making a comeback with this year's edition.
The semi-finalists of Eesti Laul were picked today and revealed in a daily entertainment show, Ringvaade (co-hosted by Marko Reikop, the long-time Estonian commentator for Europe's favourite TV Show).
This year a total of 157 songs were submitted, on par with last year's results. Out of those, 20 were picked by a professional jury to go forward to the two semi-finals.
See the top 20 below. You can also listen to the currently available versions of some of the entries.
- Tenfold Rabbit - Balance Of Water & Stone (Written by Andres Kõpper, Meelik Samel, Martin Petermann) - Listen
- Facelift Deer - Dance (Written by Rasmus Rändvee, Paal Piller, Karl Kallas)
- Elina Born - Enough (Written by Stig Rästa, Fred Krieger)
- Birgit Õigemeel - Et Uus Saaks Alguse (Written by Mihkel Mattisen, Silvia Soro) - Listen
- Rosanna Lints - Follow Me (Written by Rolf Roosalu, Kristel Aaslaid, Mattias Hapsal)
- Neogeen - Lune Surnoise (Written by Raido Lilleberg, Kalle Raudmets, Mare Sabolotny)
- Marie Vaigla - Maybe (Written by Raul Vaigla, Marie Vaigla)
- Winny Puhh - Meiecundimees Üks Korsakov Läks Eile Lätti (Written by Silver Lepaste, Indrek Vaheoja) - Listen
- Põhja-Tallinn - Meil On Aega Veel (Written by Jaanus Saks, Mark Eric Kammiste, Alvar-Risto Vürst) - Listen
- Tauri - Miljoni Roosiga Kaardi Sul Saadan (Written by Peeter Kaljuste, Marek Sadam) - Listen
- Flank - Missing Light (Written by Tõnn Tobreluts, Tauno Tamm, Keio Münti) - Listen
- Marilyn Jurman - Moving To Mmm (Written by Marilyn Jurman, Karl Kanter)
- Grete Paia - Päästke Noored Hinged (Written by Grete Paia, Sven Lõhmus)
- Teele & Tuuli & Ula - Ring The Alarm (Written by Priit Uustulnd, Teele Viira) - Listen
- Kõrsikud - Suuda Öelda Ei (Written by Andrus Albrecht, Alari Piispea, Lauri Liivak, Jaan Pehk) - Listen
- Sarah - Taevas Valgeks Läeb (Written by Sirli Hiius, Mathura)
- Anisa Vänikver - The Missing Thing (Written by Alar Kotkas, Pearu Paulus, Ilmar Laisaar, Jana Hallas)
- Liis Lemsalu - Uhhuu (Written by Rene Puura, Liis Lemsalu)
- Liisi Koikson & Söörömöö - Üle Vee (Written by Immi) - Listen
- Rolf Roosalu - With U (Written by Rolf Roosalu)
- Armastus - Young Love (Written by Jaan Tätte juunior)
The song by Tauri, named Miljoni Roosiga Kaardi Sul Saadan was disqualified as according to ERR it "strongly resembled a previously released song".
Several previous participants have returned to the show this year as well. Rolf Roosalu (who has taken part in every edition), Tenfold Rabbit, Birgit Õigemeel, Teele Viira, Rosanna Lints, Stig Rästa, Fred Krieger, Jaan Pehk and Liis Lemsalu all make a comeback
Also, the creative behind several previous Estonian Eurovision Song Contest entries, such as Runaway (2002), Once In A Lifetime (2000), Through My Window (2006) - Alar Kotkas, Peaaru Paulus, Ilmar Laisaar and Jana Hallas have returned.
The semi-finals will be held on 16th and 23rd of February, the final on the 2nd of March. Five will qualify from both semi-finals for the final.
One of the songs that has received already a lot of attention is Meil On Aega Veel by Põhja-Tallinn who has been doing very well in the Estonian music charts this year.
A runaway hit
The Estonian national selection has been a runaway hit since it's launch in 2009, producing some of the biggest hits in the country as well as qualifying the nation to the Final of the Eurovision Song Contest 3 times in the last 4 years.